Frequently Asked Questions
I’m getting my first hormone implant. How should I prepare? What to expect?
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- An area on the back of your hip is numbed, a small incision is made, and pellets are inserted into subcutaneous tissue. Steri-strips and a gauze bandage are placed over the incision. You will not feel a thing!
- Bruising and soreness lasting up to a week at incision sight are normal.
- Itchiness and redness at incision sight are also normal following implants.
Apply hydrocortisone cream to affected area or take Benadryl by mouth
- After your implant please avoid exercise/ heavy lifting /straining for 5 days.
- Please avoid baths, swimming pools, hot tubs (any submersion in water) for 5 days following your implant.
When will I feel the hormones kick in?
- The answer to this question is different for everyone. Our physiology is unique from one another and we all have different hormonal needs.
- A patient who has had years of hormonal depletion has a greater demand for replenishment. He or she might feel something around the 3rd or 4th implant.
- Do not get discouraged if you don’t feel like a different person after a couple of implants. We must first replace and restore what has been lost over the years.
- Some patients feel relief of some symptoms after the first implant; others notice reduction in symptoms after two to four implants.
- Don’t worry. They will kick in! First we have to get you restored and replace what hormones have been missing.
Do any medications interfere with hormones?
- Yes SSRI’s (Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors / anti-depressants) and strong pain medications as well as strong sedatives can block the mood enhancing effects / increase in well being effects of testosterone.
- Goal- to eventually discontinue anti depressants. Check with your MD before discontinuing a medication. Antidepressants, pain medications and sedatives should be weaned off of slowly and gradually.
How often do I come in for hormones?
- On average, hormone replenishment is needed every 3 months.
- After the first hormone implant return in 4 weeks for labs. If lab results indicate you need additional hormones you will be given a booster of hormones (a “booster” is a smaller dose of hormones that will boost your levels into the desired range). If your results indicate you do not need additional hormones an HWC of Texas nurse will call you and inform you that your levels are within the desired range.
- Following the 2nd implant hormone replenishment is needed every three to four months.
Blood work? How often? Getting my blood work results? Can blood work be drawn elsewhere?
- Blood levels of hormones must be drawn prior to EVERY implant. We must know your levels before we give you hormones.
- Hormone replacement clients may have labs drawn outside of HWC. Ask one of our receptionists for a lab requisition form.
- If you choose to have your labs drawn outside HWC of Texas you will need to use your personal insurance. Please be aware that the lab might bill you for any extra balance.
- Due to skin type and testosterone’s oil producing effects, some patients may or may not experience mild acne.
- Acne can be treated. If you experience acne ask your nurse about “acne gel”. We can order this for you and have it mailed to your home address.
- A pimple or two is your body responding to the testosterone. After your body begins adjusting to the elevated levels it will clear up.
Additional hormones/ medications? (Not included with year package).
- For Men and Women: if your thyroid is abnormal we can prescribe Armour Thyroid or Cytomel.
- For Men: it may be necessary for some men to take Femara for a short time depending on their lab results. This pill prevents testosterone from converting to estrogen.
- For Women: Women who get estrogen will need to take progesterone by mouth.
- Progesterone comes in a capsule form and sublingual (under the tongue dissolvable tablet) form.
When will I start losing weight?
- The answer to this question is different for everyone. Hormone patients who incorporate a healthy lifestyle (diet and exercise), lose weight at a faster rate than those who don’t.
- Take advantage of the high levels of testosterone circulating through your body.
- Weight bearing exercise will help you build strong, toned, lean muscle mass.
- Building lean muscle will burn fat, speed up your metabolism, and make you feel great!
- Scheduling appointments is a two step process:
- 1: Schedule an appointment for labs.
- 2: Schedule an additional appointment for the implant (one week after your lab appointment).
- If your lab results indicate that you DO NOT need additional hormones, we will call you and notify you that you do not need additional hormones at that time so you may reschedule your appointment.
- It is important that your contact number has voice mail for this reason.
- Be sure to check your voice mail after your labs have been drawn.
- Scheduling appointments is a two step process:
- If your lab results indicate that you DO NEED additional hormones, you WILL NOT receive a call from us. Simply show up for your scheduled implant and get your hormones replenished.
B12 injections? How often?
- You may have B12 Injections once a week for the first month and every other week for the following months.
- You may also have B12 shots every time you have an implant or have your labs drawn here at HWC of Texas if you have purchased a year package.